Monday, August 13, 2007

What the Flowers Say

Before my neighbour goes on vacation, she asks me to look after her plants and garden. The weather turns hot and humid after she leaves. I dutifully find her hose and watering can.


Stepping into her gazebo is like entering an enchanted world. A profusion of flowering plants surrounds the table, dizzying in their colours and fragrances. As I water the marigolds and geraniums, I stop to remove dead blossoms. Then I approach the violets cascading down from a hanging pot. Marvelling at their unmarred beauty, I reach up to pour copious amounts of water into the container. With a sense of reverence I touch one of the mauve and white petals. Synthetic! I have just watered an artificial plant.


What is the moral of this story? When something looks too good to be true, it usually is.


No comments: