Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Little Things

These days I appreciate the little things – discovering a toothpaste (baking-soda-based) that actually whitens my teeth, crunching a crisp apple from the Fall harvest or gazing at the ghostly outline of the moon in the morning sky.

Like so many others in the working world, for much of my life I focused on making money and getting ahead. I was caught on a treadmill that seemed to roll faster with the passing years. Every now and then I paused to admire the scenery or do some serious reflecting but it frightened me how quickly the weeks and months sped by. I needed to get off the treadmill and schedule my time according to my own rhythm and priorities.

Before turning 50 I left the business world to pursue my interests in motivational speaking, article-writing and storytelling. It’s been quite an adventure and even five years later, I don’t know where this road will take me.

When I die, will I miss the money or possessions I might have accumulated? I doubt it. What I will certainly miss is the softness of the breeze upon my cheek, the stunning colours and intoxicating scent of flowers, or the grateful smile of someone I have encouraged.

All things that are perhaps NOT so little after all.

No comments: